Saturday, October 4, 2008

What am I supposed to do?

So here's the situation. My friend, Scott, comes over to hang out and to study for our Communications Mid-Term which is on Monday. While we're studying, my girlfriend Jing, calls and texts me throughout his visit. Near the end of the day she feels sick, and calls me. I pick up, and during the "conversation" she is quiet, making sounds to tell me that she is there, yet she does not answer my questions or reply in any form of speech like communication. I get annoyed at this, I tell her that I'll call her later, and talk to her about it.

The reason why I feel annoyed at this is because it's being rude to someone who came to visit. I am taking up their time (which could have been better spent elsewhere) and talking to my girlfriend. While it is bad that she does feel sick, and I want her to get better, I can't talk to her right now because someone else has my attention, and I must deal with that first. Wasn't sure if it was right of me to do, but I did that. It necessarily wasn't a life or death situation, so she could have waited (at least, I think that way).

So later (5-10 mins) he leaves to go back to the dorm. I go and call Jing, and I ask her how she's feeling, if she feels a little better, what she's doing etc. I also talk to her about how I feel about this situation and about how I feel like I am being rude to my friend because she wants to talk to me. I tell her about it, and she tells me she understands and knows what I'm talking about. When she has friends over, I don't want to bother her because they're her friends. They took up their time to spend time with her, and so I hang up and call later. Why can't I get the same thing in return? I do all these things for people, and I don't receive the same action in return, is it fair? Or is it because girls can do whatever they want?

So before hanging up, I can sense that something is wrong with her, so I ask her. After a bit of more quiet "conversation" she tells me she misses me and starts crying. She tells me she's jealous that other people get to spend time with me and she doesn't. My girlfriend is 20. I used to feel the same thing with her when she started up college as well. I was 15 or 16 at the time I felt like this. It was also during a time when I was really emotional about things. I used to cry as well because I couldn't talk to her, but after a while, I got used to it, and it just happens. But I guess now she is going through the phase I was going through when she started college... During high school I was always around when she had time and didn't have time, as I didn't really find school challenging and could study by myself, but now I need to study with others or else I feel hopeless studying alone. Now she has alot of time, and I don't...

The relationship we have is a long distance relationship... we can't spend time with each other unless we play video games, but we don't do that anymore. We could also talk on the phone, but sometimes, it's not really talking... like at all.

I feel lost, and hopeless with my relationship at this moment. I don't know what to do with her, because I still love her very much, but I need to set my priorities in college straight. I want to keep this relationship going, but I feel like I don't have time for anything else I need time for, such as school, friends, and studying. I also feel like she's way too clingy, even though we discussed this already. I feel like there's still no improvement, yet if I say ANYTHING about it, she gets depressed about it. I feel like I can't tell her anything because of how she would respond to it emotionally; I feel almost restricted around her. Even if she reads this now, I feel and can imagine her heart tearing and it breaks mine knowing it might happen, as I shed a tear typing this sentence (literally).

I really wish that something different happens because I don't know what I can do anymore with this... I'm literally going to go crazy because I'm in a state of real conflict. I don't know where to go with this relationship. I feel really lost, as if I was in the middle of nowhere in relationship land.


My friends, I ask you a simple question... and please be honest, and give me reasons, and reassurance on this subject, because I could really use it right now...

What am I supposed to do?


-Arden

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Talk more. Don't try to push into a full blown conversation if she doesn't feel like it, but if you talk more little by little, it could work. Just my 2 cents.

Ivy R. de Leon said...

just let it go for a while...everything will be just fine. =)